- In the mid 1980s, a man named Kevin Garn got naked in a hot tub with a young woman by the name of Cheryl Maher.
- Garn claims he was 28 30 at the time and acknowledges that Maher was only 15. Garn had formerly served as her Sunday School teacher when she was younger. (And just so we’re all clear, 28 30 is too old to blame something on youthful indiscretion.)
- Garn becomes the [Republican] representative of the 16th District for the Utah House of Representatives in 1991.
- In 2002, when Garn is running for re-election, Maher attempts to talk to the Church-owned Deseret News about what happened. DN verifies the story, yet decides to sit on it. Garn loses his bid for re-election in spite of the newspaper’s efforts to protect him.
- Garn subsequently arranged a pay-off of $150,000 in hush money. The agreement was facilitated with the help of Maher’s LDS bishop.
- Garn was re-elected to the House of Representatives in 2007 and became House Majority Leader in 2009.
- If the Deseret News and the “helpful” bishop didn’t alert the Church to these happenings (which is extremely doubtful), Cheryl Maher did by writing a letter to the Church in 2008.
- Maher was excommunicated at some point between 2002 and 2010, while Garn remains a member of the Church. She says she was excommunicated for an extra-marital affair. I’m dying to hear how Maher’s extra-marital affair (presumably with another consenting adult) warranted excommunication while Garn’s extra-marital affair with a 15 year-old didn’t.
- Yet no one is blogging about this (outside of links to news stories in the sideblogs).
What am I missing here?
And just for the record, I don’t want any comments comparing this to 19th century polygamous practices.
UPDATE 3/23/10: Apparently Garn also had a DUI-related incident in 2006, after he began seeking re-election.
Deseret News takes own lumps on story of Kevin Garn, Cheryl Maher
House Majority Leader Kevin Garn resigns amid hot tub scandal
Cheryl Maher says Kevin Garn lied about hot tub contact
LDS Church says local leaders handled claims against Garn
Cheryl Maher finally say a word against Kevin Garn